School of Agriculture
Contest Description and Objectives:
The student will make the following welds on mild steel plate.
The student will identify the following metals.
1. Cast Iron
2. Medium Carbon Steel
5. Tool Steel
The spark test may be used in the identification of the above.
Students should practice with an electric welder using A.C. and D.C. (positive) polarities with 6011 and 7018 rods on metal in butt, lap and T positions. Students should review the characteristics of the metals listed above and practice preforming a spark test.
Two students per team and the maximum of three teams per school.
1. Practice time will be given to get familiar with the machine. A.C./D.C. machines will be used.
2. An E6011, E6013 or E7018 electrode will be used.
3. Welds will be scored for bead appearance (external penetration).
4. Weld specimens will be reviewed in the presence of the contestant and suggestions will be made for improving the quality of the weld (time permitting).
5. 15 minutes time will be allowed for the three welds.
Contest Location and Starting Time(s)
Galbreath Hall, Room 160 at 10:30 a.m.
High Team - Certificate
High Individual - Certificate and Scholarship
Second High Individual - Certificate
Return to Ag Contest Home Page
Web page designed by Bill Snyder