General Mail Policy
- College postage may not be used for personal mail. All personal mail being sent to the campus mail room MUST have the correct postage (stamps) affixed or it will be returned.
- The college's mail system may not be used for business or political mail, i.e. fliers from local stores and vendors, candidate endorsements, etc.
- All campus mail should be placed in inter-campus envelopes and addressed completely with the person's name and the correct office and building.
- To avoid having postage put on inter-campus mail, each office should separate on and off-campus mail PRIOR to sending or taking mail to the mail room.
- International mail needs to be separated because it requires additional postage.
- Outgoing mail should be bundled with flaps open, office indicated, and placed in the wire basket when brought to the mail room.
- Mail going to the post office needs to be in the mail room before 2:30 p.m.
Express Mail Policy
- All overnight deliveries through the post office must have the approval of the Director of Business Affairs.
- Avoid excessive cost for express service by planning ahead.
- If next-day delivery is unavoidable, consider using Airborne.
- SUNY has a contract with Airborne for overnight express and two-day air service.
- Contact the mail room personnel for Airborne usage procedures.
Bulk Mail Policy
- Every mailing that can be sent out bulk rate must be so processed. Exceptions to this rule must be approved by the Director of Business Affairs.
- The Bulk Mail process must be used for mailings meeting the following criteria:
- Bulk mailings must have a minimum of 200 pieces.
- Each piece of bulk mail must be identical (contents, weight, type of envelope, etc.)
- Do NOT include international mail. It CANNOT go bulk rate.
- All bulk mailings are to be prepared as follows prior to submitting them to the mail room:
- Mailings must be in zip code order (from lowest to highest).
- Manila envelopes (any size) must be sealed (clasped or taped).
- Letter envelopes do not have to be sealed, but flaps must be open over each other in order for the mailing machine to seal them.
- Pamphlets, fliers, postcards, and mailings in manila envelopes must be stamped with the campus "BULK MAIL" stamp in the upper right corner. Notify mail room personnel and the stamp will be forwarded to your attention.
- Mailings with the BULK MAIL stamp must be counted. Letter envelopes do not have to be counted as the mailing machine does this.
- Allow ample time for delivery. If you have a deadline for which you expect a return or confirmation, PLAN AHEAD. Delivery time, from the time you forward a bulk mailing from your office, should be expected to take anywhere from five to ten days.