What advice would you give current students?
“Enjoy the time you have in college because it will be over faster than you think. Take advantage of opportunities that you are given, and don't be afraid to meet new people and get involved.”
Renewable Resources Technology B.Tech.
Upon completion of the program, and according to the particular concentration of this major, a successful graduate will be able to:
- Utilize the developed expertise in concepts, theories, and emerging methodologies to succeed in tackling real-world issues in renewable and natural resource management.
- Become an independent, self-motivated professional with the ability to recognize problems in his/her renewable resources technical field of expertise and formulate solutions to such problems.
- Conduct himself/herself in a manner consistent with an embodied sense of conservation stewardship.
- Asses, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information objectively and deal professionally and ethically with clients, the public, and agency personnel.
- Communicate clearly and effectively using appropriate verbal, visual, electronic, and written techniques necessary to interact in the profession.
- Recognize and interpret natural and renewable resource laws and policies.
- Demonstrate hands-on experience in renewable resource sampling, inventory, and measurement techniques.
- Recognize and interpret natural and renewable resource problems and opportunities across spatial scales from local to global through the implementation and management of geospatial technologies (Global Positioning System -- GPS, Geographic Information System -- GIS, and remote sensing).
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills in formulating and evaluating alternative solutions to complex problems in natural and renewable resource management and recommending and defending best alternatives.
- Anticipate, analyze, and evaluate renewable and natural resource issues and opportunities and utilize an integrated approach to ecosystem impact assessment and management.
- Exercise life-long learning and management skills developed before graduation and utilize existing technology, products, and services to maximize work efficiency and success.
- Seek the input and perspectives of diverse stakeholders regarding renewable and natural resource issues and practice a collaborative spirit in team efforts and project coordination.
- Through the securing and successful completion of a 15-credit 600-hour internship, broaden his/her professional backgrounds and develop a comprehensive knowledge of his/her field of expertise and utilize that knowledge in pursuing potential career opportunities.