What MSC professor has influenced you and why?
“Professor Rogers, who teaches biology influenced me. I find it interesting to learn facts about biology, knowing the itsy-bitsy things about your body. It’s pretty cool. Professor Rogers teaches the class in a way where you want to go home, go over your notes and actually study. I would come back to class rejuvenated and excited to participate in the discussion and to learn more things. Professor Rogers is awesome!”
Medical Office Administration A.A.S.
Medical Office Administration is designed for students interested in pursuing a career as a medical office assistant. Students are well prepared to take a variety of exams for certification upon graduating.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Office Administration degree, students will be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to analyze medical language using prefixes, suffixes, root words, and combining forms;
- recognize and practice legal and ethical responsibilities of an administrative medical specialist, including HIPAA mandates, the rules for maintaining privacy of medical records and protected health information, and the types of consents and disclosures that are required in a medical office environment;
- code diagnoses using ICD-9-CM coding system;
- code procedures using CPT-4 coding system;
- complete an insurance claim form;
- transcribe a dictated letter or report without errors into a mail-ready document using a computer;
- apply specific communication techniques, including telephone etiquette, managing calls, and properly recording telephone messages;
- read, understand and prepare standard types of medical documents utilized in a medical environment;
- possess appropriate technological skills including: operating systems, spreadsheets, database management and the Internet as a research tool in a medical environment;
- demonstrate appropriate critical thinking;
- demonstrate appropriate human relations skill