What was Morrisville like when you were attending?
“I had transferred from a community college where I felt like nobody cared or was willing to help me to a college where I felt that I was home with family and friends. Morrisville State College welcomed me with open arms and always made me feel like I wasn’t just another. There was not one professor or staff member who did not open their arms to help with any situations that may have come about."
Medical Office Administration A.A.S.
Medical Office Administration is designed for students interested in pursuing a career as a medical office assistant. Students are well prepared to take a variety of exams for certification upon graduating.
Upon successful completion of the Medical Office Administration degree, students will be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to analyze medical language using prefixes, suffixes, root words, and combining forms;
- recognize and practice legal and ethical responsibilities of an administrative medical specialist, including HIPAA mandates, the rules for maintaining privacy of medical records and protected health information, and the types of consents and disclosures that are required in a medical office environment;
- code diagnoses using ICD-9-CM coding system;
- code procedures using CPT-4 coding system;
- complete an insurance claim form;
- transcribe a dictated letter or report without errors into a mail-ready document using a computer;
- apply specific communication techniques, including telephone etiquette, managing calls, and properly recording telephone messages;
- read, understand and prepare standard types of medical documents utilized in a medical environment;
- possess appropriate technological skills including: operating systems, spreadsheets, database management and the Internet as a research tool in a medical environment;
- demonstrate appropriate critical thinking;
- demonstrate appropriate human relations skill