What was great about the TET program at Morrisville is it provided me with the opportunity to participate in several observations of teachers in the Morrisville-Eaton Central School District. Right from my freshman year I was able to observe and even teach my own lesson plans. This gave me more confidence and an advantage over other students when it came time to student-teach during my senior year in college.
Teacher Education (Transfer) A.A., A.S.
Teaching Certification Process
Once our students complete their TET two-year program here and transfer into a four-year college with an approved program of study for teacher certification and graduate, they will follow this process for securing NYS certification. Take a moment to read the process leading to your first certification level and what is required for permanent certification here in New York. Each state is different. If you want to teach in another state, please visit that state's Department of Education and locate their teaching certification requirements.
To be recommended for initial certification, the following requirements must be successfully completed:
- An approved program of study that leads to certification at a four-year college and a bachelor's degree
- Complete three workshops:
- Health 230 (CA, SAVE), a two-credit hour course on drugs and alcohol
- Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse
- Violence Prevention and Intervention (Project SAVE)
- New York State Certification Exams:
- Liberal Arts and Science Test (LAST)
- Assessment of Teaching Skills – Written (ATS-W)
- Content Specialty Test (CST)
- Fingerprint clearance from the New York State Education Department
- Completed Certification Application once you complete all of the above requirements
Creating a TEACH Account
In order to be able to access your personal information, test scores, fingerprint clearance, etc., and in order to apply online for fingerprinting and teaching certification online, you must create a teach account with the New York State Education Department.
Professional Certification Requirements
To be recommended for professional certificate which must be obtained five (5) years from the effective date of the Initial certificate (the first one you need) and which must be obtained to be licensed in the state of New York, the following two (2) requirements must be completed.
- Complete a relevant master's degree
- Complete three (3) years of paid teaching
Once the master's degree and three (3) years of paid teaching have been completed, the holder of the initial certificate must complete a Certification Application in order to receive the Professional certificate. The three (3) years of paid teaching can be either as a full-time employee or as a substitute teacher. One full year equals 180 substitute days.
Once the professional certificate has been obtained, the holder of the professional certificate must complete 175 hours of documented professional development every five (5) years in order to keep the Professional certificate.