Automotive Technology A.A.S.
We have made special arrangements for the purchase of the required tools with Snap-On, Horizon Solutions (Gear Wrench), NAPA and Parts Plus.
All tools are of professional quality and carry a lifetime warranty.
Listed below is the contact information for each vendor:
Auto Parts of Morrisville (NAPA)
49 East Main St.
Morrisville, NY 13408
Students will need (1) pair of safety glasses (clear lenses) to be worn at all times during labs. This is a New York state regulation which will be enforced, starting with the first day of school. "Dickies" style work pants and work shirt of dark color, and leather work shoes (no nylon or mesh) are required for all labs for student safety and to convey a professional appearance.
Specific tools and a tool box are required (see list below). All tools should be professional quality with a lifetime guarantee.
- 1 - Tool Box (lockable top box and/or roll cabinet)
- Socket Sets: (6 point sockets are recommended) SHALLOW & DEEP
- 1/4" drive, 7/32" to ½" and 4mm to 13mm
- 3/8" drive, 3/8" to 13/16" and 8mm to 19mm
- 1/2" drive, 3/8" to 1-1/4: and 17mm to 24mm
- 5/8" and 13/16" spark plug sockets
- Torx socket sets (at least shallow, deep optional)
- Internal 8T to 60TM
- External 8T to 50T
- Socket Drivers:
- Ratchets: 1/4", 3/8" and ½" drive
- Flex Handles: 3/8" and ½" drive
- Extensions: 3", 6" and 10" all drives
- Torque wrench 50-250 ft. lbs.
- Socket Adapters:
- 1/2"M to 3/8”F, 3/8"M to 1/2"F, 3/8"M to 1/4"F, 3/8”F to 1/4”M
- Tire pressure gauge 0-50 lbs./in2 and valve core tool
- Tire Chuck for inflating tires
- OSHA approved blowgun. (Our shops use type "B" quick connect couplers)
- 0-1" Micrometer and a 0-6" Dial Caliper
A measuring tool kit is available from the Automotive Building Parts Desk that includes the precision measuring tools listed above.
- Combination Wrenches: 1/4" to 1" and 5mm to 22mm
- Flare Nut Wrenches: 3/8" to 3/4" and 7mm to 21mm
- Hex Wrenches (Allen): 5/64" to 3/8" and 1.25mm to 10mm (socket type recommended)
- Battery terminal wrench 5/16 ratcheting box
- Phillips: #1 and #2
- Flat Blade: 1/8" x 4", 1/4" x 6", 5/16" x 8", 3/8" x 12", 5/16" x 1-3/4"
- Punch and Chisel set including center punch
- Common Slip-Joint
- Needle Nose
- Locking (visegrip, 7" and needle nose)
- Arc Joint (waterpump)
- 6" or 7" Diagonal Cutters
- Internal & External Snap Ring
- Wire Strippers
- 1 lb. Ball Peen
- 2 lb. Ball Peen
- Soft Face
- Tubing flaring kit:
- Bubble flare
- Double Flare
- Battery Terminal Brush
- Gasket Scraper
- 1" Putty Knife
- Leather Welding Gloves
- 10' or 12' Tape Measure (metric/fractional)
- Feeler Gauge Set
- Drill Bit Set 1/16" to 1/4"
- Fender Cover
- Set of ear plugs or headphone style ear protection
- Snap On Digital Test Meter EEDM504DMSC with extra fuses
- 12 volt test light
- Vacuum T's 3/16"
- Injector Test light kit (Noid lights) (3 lights, GM, Ford, Chrysler)*
- Spark Plug Gap Gauge*
- Spark Tester (AC #ST125)*
- Oxygen Sensor Socket*
- Respirator (cartridge type) for paint fumes*
*Tools required for third semester only
A laptop computer will be required for all third year students.
Additional tools are required for some advanced courses, including Auto Body II, Fuels, Electronics II and III, Transmissions and Driveability.
Limited tool storage is provided in the Auto Buildings. Students are encouraged to insure their tools, as the Auto Tech Department and Morrisville State College are not responsible for missing tools.
All toolboxes must have student's name conspicuously printed on the box, and all tools should be engraved.