Why did you choose to attend Morrisville?
"I came to visit the campus and seeing the Automotive Building for the first time astonished me! The building is amazing with all of the glass, sitting atop the hill that overlooks the campus and the village. Additionally inside the building the classrooms and the labs had cut-a-ways of engines and partially disassembled vehicles that really got my interest at the time."
Automotive Technology (Ford ASSET Option) A.A.S.
We have made special arrangements for the purchase of the required tools with Snap-On, Horizon Solutions (Gear Wrench), NAPA and Parts Plus.
All tools are of professional quality and carry a lifetime warranty.
Listed below is the contact information for each vendor:
Auto Parts of Morrisville (NAPA)
49 East Main St.
Morrisville, NY 13408
Students will need (1) pair of safety glasses (clear lenses) to be worn at all times during labs. This is a New York state regulation which will be enforced, starting on the first day of school.
"Dickies" style work pants and a work shirt of dark color and leather work shoes (no nylon or mesh) are required for all labs for student safety and to convey a professional appearance.
Specific tools and a tool box are required (see list below). All tools should be professional quality with a lifetime guarantee.
A tool box and specific tools are required for Morrisville Auto Students (see list below).
All required hand tools are recommended to be of professional quality with a lifetime guarantee when available.
- 1 - Tool Box (lockable top box and/or roll cabinet)
- Long bike lock (Can be purchased at the Auto Building Parts Department)
- Socket Sets: (6 point sockets are recommended) SHALLOW & DEEP
- 1/4" drive, and 5mm to 13mm
- 3/8” drive 8mm to 19mm
- 3/8” drive 1/4" to 7/8" (Shallow or deep)
- 1/2” drive17mm to 24mm
- 5/8" and 13/16" spark plug sockets
- 8T to 55T Torx socket sets (at least shallow, deep optional)
- Socket Drivers:
- Ratchets: 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive
- Breaker Bars: 3/8" and 1/2" drive
- Extensions: 3", 6" and 10" all drives
- Torque wrench 50-250 ft. lbs.
- Torque wrench ¼” drive 200 lb/in torque wrench
- Socket Adapters:
- 1/2"M to 3/8”F, 3/8"M to 1/2"F, 3/8"M to 1/4"F, 3/8”F to 1/4”M
- Tire Chuck for inflating tires
- OSHA approved blowgun. (Our shops use type "B" quick connect couplers)
- 0-1" Micrometer and a 0-6" Dial Caliper
A measuring tool kit is available from the Automotive Building Parts Desk that includes the precision measuring tools listed above
- Combination Wrenches: 5mm to 22mm
- Combination Wrenches: 5/16" to 7/8”
- Flare Nut Wrenches: 7mm to 21mm
- Hex Wrenches (Allen): 1.25mm to 10mm (socket type recommended)
- Battery terminal wrench 5/16 ratcheting box
- Phillips: #1 and #2
- Flat Blade: 1/8" x 4", 1/4" x 6", 5/16" x 8", 3/8" x 12", 5/16" x 1-3/4"
- Punch and Chisel set including a center punch
- Pry bar or pry bar set (18” suggested but other sizes are fine)
- Common Slip-Joint
- Needle Nose
- Locking (7R Vise-Grip® style and needle nose)
- Water pump
- 6" or 7" Diagonal Cutters
- Internal & External Snap Ring
- Wire Strippers
- 1 lb. Ball Peen
- 2 lb. Ball Peen
- Soft Face
- Tubing flaring kit
- Bubble flare
- Double Flare
- Battery Terminal Brush
- Gasket Scraper
- 1" Putty Knife
- Leather Welding Gloves
- 10' or 12' Tape Measure (metric/fractional)
- Feeler Gauge Set
- Set of ear plugs or headphone style ear protection
- Snap On Digital test meter EEDM504BMSC (required for Snap On Meter Certification Program)
- 12 volt test light
- Vacuum T's 3/16"
- Fluorescent Work Light (rechargeable recommended)
- Injector Test light kit (Noid lights) (3 lights, GM, Ford, Chrysler)*
- Spark Plug Gap Gauge*
- Spark Tester (AC #ST125)*
- Oxygen Sensor Socket*
- Respirator (cartridge type) for paint fumes*
*Tools marked with * are required for third semester students only.
In addition to the above required tools, the following tools are recommended to be purchased as some of the tools that you might need after you graduate.
- Standard socket Sets: (6 point sockets are recommended) SHALLOW & DEEP
- 1/4" drive, 7/32" to1/2"
- 3/8" drive, 3/8" to 13/16"
- 1/2" drive, 3/8" to 1-1/4
- External Torx socket sets (at least shallow, deep optional)
- Impact Socket Sets: (6 point sockets are recommended) SHALLOW & DEEP
- 3/8" drive, 3/8" to 13/16" and 8mm to 19mm
- 1/2" drive, 3/8" to 1-1/4: and 17mm to 24mm
- Flare Nut Wrenches: 3/8" to 3/4"
- Hex Wrenches (Allen): 5/64" to 3/8" (socket type recommended)
- Drill Bit Set 1/16" to 1/2"
- 1/2” drive impact gun
- 3/8” drive air ratchet
- Die grinder and bits
- Wiring terminal extraction kit
- Terminal test lead kit
- 1/4”, 3/8” & 1/2” universal flex joint
- Door panel removal tools
A laptop computer will be required for all third year students.
Additional tools are required for some advanced courses, including Auto Body II, Fuels, Electronics II and III, Transmissions and Driveability.
Limited tool storage is provided in the Auto Buildings. Students are encouraged to insure their tools, as the Auto Tech Department and Morrisville State College are not responsible for missing tools.
All toolboxes must have student's name conspicuously printed on the box, and all tools should be engraved.