"I chose Morrisville because when I came to visit the campus I felt right at home. All of the students are friendly and the Sports Nutrition and Fitness Management major will help me accomplish my long term goals!"
Human Performance and Health Promotion A.S.
This degree prepares students for transfer to upper division programs in career fields such as physical education, athletic training, exercise science, cardiac rehabilitation and health education. Students may also seek employment upon graduation in fitness centers, corporate wellness programs, or recreational facilities.
The material covered in this program prepares students to obtain Personal Trainer Certification from nationally recognized organizations such as the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association. The curriculum includes a strong foundation in math and science, along with basic fitness-related classes in general fitness and wellness and exercise physiology. The program is unique in its inclusion of two exercise physiology classes to ensure the complete and comprehensive understanding, by the student, of the body’s response to exercise. Students are taught to handle a diverse set of exercise and fitness situations to strengthen their confidence and marketability in the field.
The goal of the program is to produce well-rounded, skilled and confident graduates who are prepared to positively and effectively contribute to the health/fitness field.
Upon completion of their degree, students will be able to:
- Describe the connection between chronic disease and physical inactivity
- Conduct general field tests to evaluate an individual’s fitness level relative to the five components of health-related physical fitness: cardiovascular endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility, and body composition
- Develop personalized fitness programs according to the five components of health-related physical fitness
- Explain the physiological response of the body during exercise and the physiological adaptations to exercise
- Demonstrate basic laboratory fitness assessment skills such as height, weight, heart rate palpation and blood pressure measurement
- Better understand the different career opportunities in the field of health and fitness
- Lead and supervise basic exercise programs