MAC Technology Center

Phone: (315) 684-6422
Fax: (315) 684-6694
Hamilton Hall

MAC Computer Services

Laptop & Cell Phone FAQ

MAC Technology Center


When does the student own the laptop?

The student is actually purchasing a license to use the ThinkPad. The license is through the Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation. The student does not own the ThinkPad until the last payment has been received and all applicable taxes. Students are billed in four equal installments, which span four semesters or students can select another payment option on Web for Students. If a student leaves school or takes a semester off prior to paying for their laptop, they must return the computer or pay the balance (plus taxes) still owed on the system.

What if the laptop gets damaged?

If it is not a software issue, then the Technology Center is the place to be. The Technology Center is teamed with an in-house maintenance shop that can perform warranty and non-warranty work on Lenovo laptops issued to students.

Why is the program operated in this manner?

Students sign a license agreement, which allows them the use of the computer. Repairs to these laptops can be hundreds of dollars. If the problem with the laptop is considered a warranty item, the student pays nothing and the laptop is repaired.

We have also incorporated a loaner system with our laptop program. When a laptop has to be sent out for warranty repairs, the student is able to receive a loaner laptop while theirs is being repaired. Additionally, if a loaner is necessary, the student's hard drive is installed in the loaner machine, if possible. This ensures that a student will not lose any of his or her work during the repair process. Students with non-warranty repairs will not be eligible for a loaner.

Why can't a student in a required major get the computer he/She wants in place of what we offer?

Instructors for required majors are on a committee, which decides what students will need. Students receive a great deal of support, which is offered through the Help Desk and the Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation. If a student has a different computer than the one the college provides, that student would be solely responsible for any damage or warranty costs their system might incur. Additionally, we would not have a loaner for the student while their computer is being repaired. Likewise, if a student is in a non-mandatory major and brings a laptop or desktop to college, we are not able to help that student should he or she experience problems with the hardware.

When can a student upgrade their laptop?

Students may, at no time, upgrade the hardware on the laptops until ownership has been transferred to them. Once all required payments for the laptop have been received, ownership will be transferred.

Is the student permitted to take their laptop with them on college breaks?

The students are allowed to take their laptops with them over breaks if they are registered for the next semester. If they have not paid in full, returned the laptop, or returned to Morrisville State College, they will be charged for the laptop and may face criminal charges. However, Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation does offer storage for the laptops during any school break and over the summer months. This is especially advantageous for those students who may be unsure about returning to school for the next term.

What do I do if I'm not returning to campus?

If you are not returning to campus, please read this information regarding your Lenovo laptop & AT&T cell phone.


Who gets a cell phone?

All registered Morrisville Campus resident students.

When does the student get the phone?

Cell phones are usually distributed the weekend before classes start in the fall semester and the first week of classes during the spring semester. After the scheduled distribution times, please contact the Technology Center located in Hamilton Hall at (315) 684-6422.

What does it cost to me?

The cost of the Morrisville Line is included in the dorm service fees.

Is a non-resident able to get the same features as a resident?

Not at this time.

What if I have my own phone?

Due to the fact that the phones are a part of the dorm service fee, you may receive our phone and take advantage of all of its features and use your own cellular phone for long distance. Please note, we can only guarantee coverage for AT&T phones on campus.

What if I have trouble with my phone?

The Technology Center, located at Hamilton Hall, has a service center designed to help you with your phone questions, repairs and needs for all student issued phones.

What if my phone is stolen?

Immediately contact the University Police at (315) 684-6410 and then contact Technology Center at (315) 684-6422. There is a $50 fee to replace the phone.

Where can I get accessories?

The Campus Store carries a selection of accessories.

Does 911 work?

If you dial 911 from your phone, it will work anywhere on campus. However, if you are off campus you must be near an AT&T tower for 911 to work. Make sure you know your phone number and give them your location.