PHASE 1: Design Consultation & Weeding Project
- Formation of Library Renovation Task Force
- Selection of architects by the task force
- Architect review of the building and meetings with campus stakeholders
Library Collection Deselection and Weeding Project
To accommodate changes to the physical space & services offered, we have reduced the footprint of our print collection by roughly 40%. This will enable us to better meet the needs of our dynamic student body going forward.
- Starting June 5 we deselected 18,000 books in our fiction collection. These were selected based on the following criteria:
- No use in 13 years
- Not part of our Sheila Johnson, rare books, or local history collections
- Not the last copy in SUNY
- Not older than 1900 or newer than 2000 for publication year.
- For more information, please read our collection development policy’s de-selection criteria.
- Starting June 26 an additional 15,000 books from the remainder of the collection were deselected.
The Library offered these materials to other SUNY systems and the campus community before the deselection process began. Upon finishing the second set of deselections the library shifted the collection in order to reduce the footprint of the second floor stacks.
The library will be removing the empty shelving from the second floor during the winter break.