You have control of the choices you can make. You don’t have to report the assault to anyone if you don’t want to. You can report it to a select group of confidential resources like counselors, rape crisis centers, or clergy. If you report it to another college employee, they have an obligation to contact University Police to officially record that a report was received. The matter will be investigated sufficiently to develop a thumbnail sketch of the reported situation to determine if there could be serious risk of further harm to you or members of the community.
The following are recommendations to assist you:
- Do not blame yourself. Sexual assault is never the survivor’s fault.
- Go to a safe location.
- If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately.
- Do not shower, bathe, or douche. The only way medical evidence can be collected is if it is left intact.
- Contact one or more of the resources listed in the table.
If a friend has been assaulted or raped:
- Listen and be supportive.
- Let your friend make her or his own choices.
- Encourage your friend to immediately contact one of the sexual assault resources listed below.
- Stay with your friend during interviews and examinations if she or he wants you to do so.
- Take care of yourself. You may need to talk with someone about how this has affected you.
***SUNY SAVR can be accessed 24 hours per day. Where ever you are located, for instant anonymous access to campus and community resources and important policies in over 120 languages go to the SUNY SAVR website. Search by campus, zip code, or map location for the resources closest to you.
Resources listed in this section are available for you while at SUNY Morrisville. This is not an exhaustive list.
- SUNY Morrisville and Town of Morrisville (Frequent Use) Fire/Ambulance 911
- University Police Dispatch 315.684.6410
- Mathias Health Center 315.684.6078
- Community Memorial Hospital [Hamilton] 315.824.1956, ER 315.824.1100
- CPEP near St. Joseph's Hospital in Syracuse [Prospect Ave] 315.448.6555
- Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator 315.684.6038
- Madison County Madison County Sheriff 315.366.2311
- Madison County Jail 315.366.2289
- Troop D Troopers [Morrisville Station] 315.684.9550
- NYS Troopers - Troop D Oneida 315.366.6000
- NYS Domestic Violence Hotline 1.800.942.6906
- Help Restore Hope Center (collect calls accepted) 1.855.966.9723
- Madison County Mental Health Department 315.366.2327or 1.800.721.2327
- CareNet 315.684.3003