Types of Aid

Financial aid consists of federal grants, scholarships, state grants and loans. All sources are considered when packaging your award.

Federal Financial Aid

The following Federal Financial Aid programs and loans are available to students:

Federal Pell Grants

Pell is a federal grant that is determined by your financial profile. The completion of a FAFSA is the first step in determining your eligibility. The FAFSA is a free application available online at studentaid.gov.

All students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA. The SUNY Morrisville school code for completing the FAFSA is 002859.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The Federal SEOG program is for students of exceptional financial need who would be unable to continue their education without the grant. A student is eligible to apply if matriculated at least half-time as an undergraduate or vocational student in a participating educational institution and must be Pell Grant eligible.

Graduate students are not eligible. A Federal SEOG award cannot be less than $100 or more than $4,000 a year. Normally, a Federal SEOG may be received for up to four years. However, the grant may be received for five years when the course of study requires extra time. Since the Federal SEOG is awarded by the college, only normal financial aid application procedures need be followed.

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

To be eligible for a federal PLUS loan as a parent, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen. You must also be your child’s biological, adoptive, or step parent. Your child must be under the age of 24, be unmarried, have no dependents, cannot be a veteran of the U.S. armed forces, and must be enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate program at an eligible institution. If you have more than one child you wish to borrow for, you must apply for a separate PLUS loan for each student.

Parent PLUS loans permits parents to borrow the full cost of education less any financial aid at a relatively low interest rate. PLUS loans are subject to a credit check. Repayment will begin 60 days after the full loan is disbursed. A origination fee will be deducted from the amount of the loan. You may have the option to defer payments while the student is enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate program. Typically, you have 10 years to pay off your loan, with no penalty for early pay-offs. Current interest rates and additional information can be found at www.studentaid.gov.

Native American Assistance

United States Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid (BIA) to Native Americans is awarded by the Bureau of Indian Affairs to eligible applicants. To be eligible an applicant must be at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut; be an enrolled member of a tribe, band or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs; be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an approved college or university; and have financial need.

For grants to be awarded in successive years, satisfactory progress toward a degree and financial need must be demonstrated. Depending on availability of funds, grants may also be made to graduate students and summer session students. Eligible married students may also receive living expenses for dependents.

Application forms may be obtained from the Bureau of Indian Affairs Office, U.S. Department of the Interior. An application is necessary for each year of study. An official needs analysis from the college financial aid office is also required each year. Each first time applicant must obtain tribal enrollment certification from the Bureau agency or tribe which records enrollment for the tribe.

Federal Nursing Student Loan Program (NSLP)

The Federal NSLP is for students who are enrolled at least half-time in an approved program leading to the associate degree in nursing. The college determines who is eligible for the loan, and the amount that will be offered. A student may borrow up to $3,000 per year.

Repayment begins nine months after the borrower graduates, leaves the program, or leaves school for other reasons. At the end of the nine month grace period, the student must begin making payments or deferment arrangements.

Information on this program will be provided automatically to all borrowers and to others upon request. Contact our office to apply for this loan.

Federal Direct Loans for Student Borrowers

To be eligible for a Direct Loan, a student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen and be enrolled in or admitted at least a half-time student in an approved program of study.

An undergraduate may borrow up to $5,500 the freshman year, $6,500 the sophomore, $7,500 the junior year, and $7,500 the senior year of study. The Federal Government will pay interest on the subsidized loan while the student is in college and for a six month grace period before repayment begins. If a student is eligible for an unsubsidized loan, the student has the option of paying the interest while in school. An origination fee will be deducted from the amount of the loan. Per federal regulation, all loan disbursements for first-time borrowers must be held for 30 days into the semester.

A student may borrow at a relatively low interest rate with no repayment as long as enrolled at least half-time, and for six months after program completion or departure. Payment of principal may further be deferred during study under a graduate fellowship program approved by the U.S. Secretary of Education, during up to three years of active U.S. armed forces service, during up to three years as a full-time Peace Corps or VISTA, or similar national program volunteer, or during up to 12 months of unsuccessful search for full-time employment.

The following regulations apply:

  1. Depending on the amount of the loan, the minimum monthly payment will be $50 plus interest. Under unusual and extenuating circumstances the government, on request, may permit reduced payments.
  2. The standard repayment period is 10 years.
  3. The maximum period of loan from date of the original note may not exceed 15 years, excluding authorized deferments of payments.
  4. Repayment in whole or part may be made any time without penalty.

You must complete the FAFSA to be eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans.

Federal College Work Study (CWS) Program

The Federal CWS program provides funds to employ students who have financial need and who must earn a part of their educational expenses. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in a graduate, undergraduate, or vocational program in an approved post-secondary educational institution.

The college determines who is eligible for CWS, how much the student may earn and when the student will work. Jobs range from assisting individual instructors to clerical assistants to tour guides in the admissions office. Since CWS is awarded by the college, students simply need to fill out the FAFSA and indicate an interest in work study.

CWS monies will NOT be automatically credited to the student's bill. Funding is paid to students as a regular biweekly paycheck. Students wishing to use this funding to help with the balance on their bills must make a payment to the bill, it will not happen automatically.

Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active Duty

Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30) Based on active duty service beginning on or after July 1, 1985 or you entered on active duty before January 1, 1977 and served on active duty for any number of days during the period October 19, 1984 to June 30, 1985, and continued on active duty through June 20, 1988.

Montgomery G.I. Bill - Selective Reserve

Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 106) Notice of Basic Eligibility, member of the selected reserve.

Survivors' and Dependents Program

Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) only for survivors and dependents of deceased or permanently and totally disabled veterans. Both must be service connected qualifications.

VEAP (Chapter 32)/Non-Contributory VEAP (Section 903)

Service beginning on or after January 1, 1977 through June 30, 1985.

New York State Financial Aid

The following New York State Aid programs and loans are available to students:

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP provides funds in the form of grants for students who have been legal residents of New York State for at least one year immediately preceding the term for which payment is requested.

To be eligible for a TAP award a student must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, a New York State resident, a full-time, matriculated student in an approved program in New York State, and have a combined family state net taxable income for the previous year of $80,000 or less.

Awards range from $500 to $5,665.

Excelsior Scholarship Program

The program covers tuition for eligible SUNY and CUNY students. The program will be phased in over three years, beginning in Fall 2017. It would first apply to families who earn $100,000 or less, then to those who earn $110,000 or less in 2018, and eventually reaching $125,000 or less in 2019. Visit our Excelsior page for more information or www.hesc.ny.gov


The New York State Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) provides program counseling and financial assistance for students who have certain physical, mental or emotional disabilities.

Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation

Contact the nearest ACCES-VR for information, or write to:

University of the State of New York

State Education Department

Office of Vocational Rehabilitation

Albany, N.Y. 12234

Regents Awards for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans

Grants are awarded to New York State residents who are children of certain deceased or disabled veterans and who attend approved public and independent colleges and schools in New York State.

Applications are accepted from a child of a veteran who died, or who has a current disability of 50 percent or more, or who had such disability at the time of death, resulting from U.S. military service during one of the following periods:

April 16, 1917-November 11, 1918;

December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946;

June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953;

October 1, 1961-March 29, 1973;

and who is a legal resident of New York State. The parent must be a legal resident of New York State at the time of entry into military service, or, if the parent died as the result of military service, at the time of death. Students whose parents served in the Persian Gulf conflict may also be eligible.

Regents awards to children of deceased or disabled veterans are independent of family income or tuition charge, and are in addition to such other grants or awards to which the applicant may be entitled. The amount of the award is $450 per year, for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program of study, of full-time study in a college or in a hospital nursing school in New York State. A special application, obtainable from a high school principal or counselor, must be filed with the New York Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Tower Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, New York 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application. Any high school counselor can provide assistance with this.

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Incentive Program

The NYS STEM Incentive Program provides tuition awards to students who are New York State residents attending a public or private degree-granting college or university located in New York State. Recipients must be in the top 10 percent of students of their high school graduating class, pursue an approved, two or four-year STEM degree program and agree to live in NYS and work in a STEM field in NYS for five years after graduation. For more information, visit www.hesc.ny.gov/pay-for-college.

State Assistance for Native Americans

Grants of $1,550 are awarded to high school graduates who are residents of one of New York's eight major reservations and who attend an approved post secondary educational institution in New York State.

Information may be obtained by contacting:

New York State Native American Programs

Room 543, New York State Education Dept.

Washington Ave.

Albany, N.Y. 12234

Canadian Financial Aid

The following Financial Aid programs are available to Canadian students who are studying in the United States:

Ontario Student Assistance Program

Canadian Student Loan Program

Alternative and Private Loans

An alternative loan (private loan) is a loan with a variable interest rate that requires a credit-worthy co-signor if a student does not have the required credit history established. Alternative loans usually have a 6 month grace period, though some lenders offer a longer grace period. Interest begins to accrue when the first disbursement is made. View the list of previously used alternative loan lenders from the past two years. You may choose from this list or opt to use another alternative/private loan lender of your choice.