SUNY Morrisville is investing in new and renovated experiential learning facilities, including a new $16 million Alternative Fuels Building. This new 30,000-square-foot applied learning technology building will serve as the home to our Renewable Energy and Diesel Technology programs and will include state-of-the-art wind, solar, hydro, geothermal and bio-fuels labs, a diesel technology garage and lab space capable of servicing heavy construction and agricultural equipment, as well as long haul tractor and trailer assemblies.
Lab facilities in the new building include (construction photos below):
- Solar Lab (PV and thermal): Features three indoor roofs, pole-mount, ground-mount and ballast-mount arrays for photovoltaic and solar hot water systems.
- 85 kW solar PV array: Ground mounted array for on-site energy production, providing a real-world laboratory for commercial solar installation, design, and permitting.
- Wind & Hydro Lab: Features wind turbines up to 50 kW in size and 5 micro hydroelectricity turbine systems.
- Tower Climbing Lab: Wind and telecom climbing safety lab featuring three (3) 35-ft. tall indoor towers and an outdoor 80-ft. tall tower.
- Thermal Energy Lab: Features geothermal and air-source heat pumps, high-efficiency biomass boilers, hydronics “backbone” with thermal storage, hydronic heat emitters, and forced air ductwork stations.
- Biofuels Lab: A dedicated chemistry lab for biofuels production and testing (e.g. biodiesel, ethanol, and biogas)
- Biomass Processing Lab: Features grinding, drying, extraction and related biomass preparation and processing equipment for biofuels and bioproducts.
- Diesel Technology Lab, Agricultural Engineering Lab, Hydraulics and Powertrain Lab: These three large labs have increased capacity for heavy equipment, agricultural equipment and over-the-road trucks. The facility also features a Hydraulics Bench Lab and Equipment Wash Bay (indoor and outdoor).
- The building also includes a computer classroom, conventional lecture classroom, faculty offices, conference room, and lounge.