SUNY Morrisville has invested in new and renovated experiential learning facilities, including a $16 million Agricultural and Clean Energy Technology (ACET) Center. This new 30,000-square-foot applied learning technology building serves as the home to our renewable energy, agricultural engineering, and diesel technology programs and includes real-world, state-of-the-art wind, solar, hydro, biofuels, and thermal energy labs, a diesel technology garage and lab space capable of servicing heavy construction and agricultural equipment, as well as long haul tractor and trailer assemblies.
Lab facilities in the new building include:
- Solar Lab (PV and thermal): Features three indoor roofs, pole-mount, ground-mount and ballast-mount arrays for photovoltaic and solar hot water systems.
- 85 kW solar PV array: Ground-mounted array for on-site energy production, providing a real-world laboratory for commercial solar installation, design, and permitting.
- Wind & Hydro Lab: Features wind turbines up to 50 kW in size and five micro hydroelectricity turbine systems.
- Tower Climbing Lab: Wind and telecom climbing safety lab featuring three 35-foot tall indoor towers and an outdoor 80-foot tall tower.
- Thermal Energy Lab: Features geothermal and air-source heat pumps, high-efficiency biomass boilers, hydronics “backbone” with thermal storage, hydronic heat emitters, and forced air ductwork stations.
- Biofuels Lab: A dedicated chemistry lab for biofuels production and testing (e.g., biodiesel, ethanol and biogas).
- Biomass Processing Lab: Features grinding, drying, extraction, and related biomass preparation and processing equipment for biofuels and bioproducts.
- Diesel Technology, agricultural engineering, hydraulics, heavy vehicle, and powertrain labs: These three large labs have increased capacity for heavy equipment, agricultural equipment, and over-the-road trucks. The facility also features a hydraulics technology lab plus an equipment wash bay (indoor and outdoor).
- The building also includes a computer classroom, conventional lecture classroom, faculty offices, conference room, and lounge.