Working on Campus

The following information is relevant to current SUNY Morrisville students only. Employment opportunities for non-students are found on the college's Human Resources page.

Hundreds of SUNY Morrisville students gain valuable work experience and earn money for educational expenses in on-campus jobs through the college's Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Student Temp Services programs, and with Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation (MAC), which operates our dining halls, residential apartments, and other facilities. Details about the eligibility standards and application process for each follow.

On-campus positions are highly competitive, especially for first semester freshmen, so if you are interested in working, apply to multiple positions and as soon as positions open, and connect with Career Services for assistance. The majority of jobs are for a maximum of six to 10 hours a week to allow as many students as possible the opportunity to work.

Schedule an Appointment With Career Services

Documents Required for Hiring

Federal law requires that you present proof of your identification and your authorization to work in the U.S. before you can begin a job. These documents must be originals and current; copies and expired documents cannot be accepted. Make sure to bring the following with you when you come to campus so you can start your job at the earliest date possible.

Required documentation to be set up on the payroll

Proof of identification: one of the following:

  • photo identification such as a SUNY Morrisville ID card, driver’s license, US Military card, or State or Federal ID card that includes a photo


Proof of work authorization: one of the following

  • Social Security card, original or certified copy of your birth certificate, US passport, Alien Registration Card, Native American Tribal Document, or Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the US Department of State

If you have already been on the SUNY Morrisville payroll under your current name and work authorization status, you do not have to resubmit the aforementioned documentation.

Direct Deposit option

You can have your paycheck deposited directly to a checking or savings account; otherwise, it will be sent to your home address. If you select direct deposit, you will need to provide a blank deposit slip for your account at the time of hire.

Payroll schedule

Federal Work-Study and Student Temp Service employees are paid every two weeks. There is a delay of up to five weeks in receiving your first paycheck after your start working, then a two-week lag time for subsequent pay periods.

Hiring Information for 2023-2024

Instructions For Finding On-campus Jobs

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Jobs funded through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program are open only to students awarded FWS in their 2023/24 Financial Aid award letter. Click here for instructions on how to check your letter yourself to see if you were awarded it. If you would like to be considered for FWS jobs and do not have an award, connect with Financial Aid, 4th floor Whipple Administration building, or

If you were awarded FWS, you will need to apply to, interview for, and be selected for a position. FWS jobs are posted in Handshake, the college’s career management system. Students with FWS awards will receive detailed instructions on finding FWS from Career Services ( or through the instructions link above. The application process for Spring 2024 opened December 2023. 

FWS employees are paid for actual hours worked at a rate of $15.00/hour; the current maximum number of hours weekly is 5. Please note that unlike grants, loans, and scholarships, FWS awards cannot be credited towards outstanding balances due on your student bill.

Departments that offer FWS positions vary from year to year, but typically range from student services spaces including Butcher Library, CyberLab/Student Business Center, and Tutoring Center; office settings such as Deans, Provost, and Registrar offices; athletics-related departments; and academic support facilities, including our aquaculture center, dairy complex, and greenhouse/horticulture institute.

Student Temp Service

Student Temp Service jobs are open to all students, but typically require a specific experience or skill, with a limited number having more general requirements. The pay rate is $15.00/hour. Student Temp Service jobs require an average commitment of six to ten hours a week and are generally either for a semester or the full academic year.

Student Temp Services jobs are posted in Handshake. Click on the “Instructions for Finding On-campus Jobs” link above for details on finding positions there. Contact Career Services at 315.684.6615 or for assistance.

Hiring for Resident Assistant (RA) positions in our residence halls is completed in the middle of the semester before the position would start (mid-October for Spring semester, mid-March for Fall semester). Any vacancies at the beginning of a semester will be posted in Handshake.

Morrisville Auxiliary Corporation (MAC)

MAC, which is related to the College, but a separate legal entity, hires for student support in Seneca Dining Hall, Mustang Alley, Smooth Jazzy Joz cafe, Copper Turret restaurant, Pit Stop, and other service areas. MAC is the largest student employer on campus and offers the greatest number of weekend and evening hours.

Information about current job openings and the application process can be found through the Student Application link on their website. You will need to upload your “Week at a Glance” schedule for the current/upcoming semester when you apply. Follow up should be done directly with MAC at their Hamilton Hall office or by calling 315.684.6047.

Mac Student Application