Wednesday, July 7 - Friday, August 7, 2021
The Educational Opportunity Program Pre-College Summer Institute is required for EOP admission at SUNY Morrisville. The program will be held virtually for summer 2021. Please contact the EOP office at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
EOP students are conditionally admitted and required to participate in the Pre-College Summer Institute (PCI). The Pre-College Summer Institute is a five-week intensive summer program that is designed to assist students with the adjustment to college and provide a foundation for academic success. PCI also offers a comprehensive academic and personal support system that is structured to help students succeed both personally and professionally. Additionally, PCI is intended to address five educational priorities:
- Skill and habit building
- Knowledge of resources
- Community building
- Applied learning
- Cultural competency
Skill and Habit Building
Skill and habit building refers to our students developing sustainable techniques for achieving mastery level in the completion of college work and setting higher academic standards for their personal achievement.
Knowledge of Resources
Students will attain a working knowledge of the resources available at SUNY Morrisville. Students will learn how to identify pertinent resources and how to use them to enhance their academic performance.
The Pre-College Summer Institute will incorporate programmatic material that provides students the opportunity for community building and fellowship. Students will:
- Develop a sense of engagement, community and commitment to the goals and objectives of EOP;
- Become cognizant of semester opportunities for co-curricular involvement; and
- Interpret how individual identity affects group dynamics in order to build their social network.
Students will demonstrate their ability to apply course knowledge through their participation in associated co-curricular activities. Students will:
- Be exposed to hands-on learning opportunities; and
- Connect hands-on learning opportunities with practical applications for their intended field of study.
Students will be introduced to foundational workshops that will develop their understanding of diversity, equity and inclusivity. Through participation in our program, students will:
- Participate in at least two foundational workshops that focus on elements of cultural competency; and
- Build their cultural competence through interactive activities and engaged discussions.