Caring for Your Laptop
- Keep it clean. Use a damp cloth to gently wipe the LCD and keyboard. The keyboard can be vacuumed out using a small vacuum, be careful not to vacuum out the keys. Avoid eating or drinking near the laptop, spills are the most common cause of damage to laptops.
- The laptop should not be left in a car. If it is, then it should be locked in the trunk or where it won’t be seen.
- Extreme heat or cold can have an adverse affect on the laptop, if it does get hot or cold allow the laptop to return to room temperature before using.
- Avoid setting the laptop on anything that vibrates (i.e. stereo speakers, washing machine, dryer) This can cause unnecessary stress adversely affecting the laptop.
- Do not pack the laptop with anything plugged into any of the USB ports or the AC adapter port to avoid causing damage to the motherboard.
- Use caution when plugging in and unplugging anything from the USB ports to avoid unnecessary damage to the motherboard.
Battery Care and Power Management
- The Laptop battery is warranted for 1 year by IBM from the time MAC receives the laptops from the manufacturer.
- The battery should be fully charged before initially using. Let it charge for at least 12 hours the first time.
- To maximize the life of the battery allow the battery to fully deplete during use, the battery status indicator will start blinking orange. Recharge the battery completely before using it. The battery is fully charged when the battery indicator shows green when the ac adapter is plugged in.
- Whenever possible use power management features such as power modes, screen blank, sleep (standby), and hibernation.
- The battery will stop charging automatically once it is fully charged.
- New Yoga and the T450 model laptops have a four year warranty and four year user damage protection from the original receipt of the laptops by MAC and NOT from the day they are issued.
- Prior T-Series models excluding the T450 have a three year warranty and three year user damage protection from the original receipt of the laptops by MAC and NOT from the day they are issued.
- Batteries are warrantied for one year from the original receipt of the laptops by MAC and NOT from the day they are issued to the students.
- NOTE: Batteries in the Yoga model are NOT removable!
Laptop Identification Tags
STOP Theft Tag
Attached to track the laptop if it is lost or stolen and recovered by police or found by another individual. It is registered with in a third party database that can be contacted.
It takes 800 pounds of pressure to remove and will most likely crack the LCD if attempted (There is a $10.00 charge for replacement)
MAC Inventory Number Tag
The white sticker on top of the laptop that contains a 5 digit number which allows the Help Desk staff and MAC office quickly identify the laptop. (There is a $5.00 charge for replacement)
Model and Serial Number Tag on Bottom
Identifies the model of the Lenovo Thinkpad laptop and identifies it to the manufacturer.
Change Your Password (Windows 7)
Code of Conduct for Computer Use
Converting a Word Document into a PDF
FortiClient VPN Installation
How to Add a Printer in Windows
- How to Connect Gaming Consoles and Other Devices
How to Map a Network Drive for Non-Domain Computers
How to Map a Network Drive on a Domain Computer
Map a Network Drive (Mac OS X)
Personal Property ID Sheet
Set Up Email on an iPhone
Updating Email / Network / Blackboard Password
Web for Students Instructions